Thursday, March 28, 2013

Test Run on the Biscuits

Morning All!
Not long now before the family gathers for Easter dinner and since I'm using a 'new' recipe for the biscuits, hubby & I thought we'd better do a 'test' run!

This is actually a family (secret) recipe that my sweet Uncle Hen (real name Clyde) shared with my daughter, Carolyn & I back in 2006.  They are the biscuits HIS mom used to make when he & his 11 other brothers & sisters were growing up.  Unfortunately we lost Uncle Hen this past December but I know he would be THRILLED that we are continuing the biscuit tradition.  My Mom doesn't know I'm making them so she'll hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

YEAH!  SUCCESS ... they are DELICIOUS!

The tin cans in the background are 'recycled' tuna cans.  THAT is what these biscuits are baked in!  I'm afraid I'm NOT ALLOWED (sworn to family secrecy ... my own mother doesn't even have it) to share the actual recipe but the fun part of this process in that you cut the dough with the can then place the dough in the can for the second proofing before baking.  They make a nice shape and it works PERFECTLY!

Here are a couple of pictures we took when Uncle Hen was stepping us through the process ... he was 83 years old at the time.  He continued to make these biscuits to share at our annual family reunion (over 100 people in attendance) until last year when his health didn't permit it.  But God Bless them ... his son's stepped in and under Uncle Hen's guidance, they got enough made in time for the reunion.
 

Please ignore Uncle Hen's oven ... it had obviously seen a lot of baking between cleanings and possibly a fire or two by the looks of it! LOL!   In this lower photo he was rotating the tins (note the 'oven mitts' ... aka work gloves) ... he felt that was necessary for even baking (probably because this oven was so old).

I wish you all a very happy day today and I hope you are looking forward to your Easter family gathering as much as I am.  Little surprises are always fun ...

Thanks for stopping by and as always ...

7 comments:

  1. Oh they look Sooo yummy! Thanks for stopping by. And nnoo way you're older! Neither one of us look are age...so cool...isn't it?! Boy you've been busy! And your work is so amazing, Dar! Have a wonderful Easter! Hugs from FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh they look so good and i am sure the oven helped them taste even better i got a new one as i set fire on mine. lol. long story and it just doesnt cook the same. He looks a grand gentleman and i guess a hard act to follow. My uncle is 105 yes that right and hardly a days illness

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post, and a great family tradition. Your uncle sounds like a lovely family man and those biscuits don't half look tasty! Happy Easter to you and your family, Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Darlene . . . these look so yummy! Can taste them now with some devonshire cream!!! Enjoy and what a nice tradition to continue for your family

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful tradition. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you and your family a blessed Easter.
    {I would love you to take part in my 500 Follower Give-away. Thank you so much if you have already entered.} Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look wonderful - I can almost taste them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful memory....how neat that you are making them,...it will make you feel like at least a part of him is there to join in...I was hoping I could think of a family recipe to "tease" you with...lol..but guess we don't have any ...darn it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.